7/21/2009

Experimentation

So of course Jonah would have allergies, it runs in the family.  If you are familiar with this blog you know we have been dealing with the dog's allergies for some time now (by the way he hasn't had any new allergies since March?).  I guess I just wasn't expecting Jonah to have allergies this quickly, and to basically the first thing we have introduced to him.  As most of you know I will be returning to work in a few short weeks so I have been introducing formula into Jonah's diet gradually over the past couple of weeks.  Well, he got what appeared to be the same little rash on his cheeks and arms that he had the week after he was born.  I thought it would go away, he probably has bad skin like his mommy.  Well, he spent the night with his grandma Hodson over the weekend and when we picked him up his rash was a lot worse.  His grandma suggested that he might have an allergy to Similac.  I went home and did a little research and all signs point to this.  His rash that showed up after we left the hospital was after he was being supplemented with Similac (because he lost too much weight, kinda funny to think about considering what a chunkster he is today).  Yesterday I brought him into the pediatricians office and they think he is allergic to cows milk.  So not only does Jonah have a restricted diet, so does mommy.  We are both on soy milk now.  I am not allowed to have any milk in my diet until I am no longer breast feeding (pumping in my case).  Jonah is trying a special soy milk formula.  We are hoping that this formula will work because if he is also allergic to soy we have another formula to try and it is about twice as expensive.  After we left the pediatricians office we stopped at Whole Foods and picked up some soy products. I got soy milk, pudding, and cheese (not eating cheese is going to be the hardest for me, I love it). We also got some rice ice cream.  If someone ever told you soy milk is good, don't believe them.  I think it is nasty.  Also rice ice cream does not taste like frozen yogurt or ice cream, I had to pour some chocolate syrup on it to eat it.  I will do it though, and I am determined that this is the last time I will complain about it.  I have a wonderful, beautiful, healthy baby boy and it is all worth it.  I will keep you updated on how things are going with this experimentation.  

We are traveling to Idaho on Thursday.  I am so excited for my family to meet Jonah.  Joe and I are a little concerned about the flight over with an infant, but lots of people do it and we will survive as well.  Any tips on flying with a baby are appreciated.  Adoption update:  Andy and Emily haven't heard from the adoption agency yet, we are hoping to hear before the Ethiopian courts close for two months.  Please keep your fingers crossed.  The call could come any day (I am guessing when we are up in the Idaho mountains and can't be reached).  Jonah is looking forward to playing with his new cousin, and I am looking forward to spoiling my new niece or nephew.

No comments: