9/19/2005

Our Weekend

What a weekend we had! As you can see from the picture, we were fortunate enough to attend the Colts home opener against the Jacksonville Jaguars on Sunday with Joe's parents. We won, 10-3. Who would have thought that our defense would pull us through the last couple of days. We had a great time, and all of us had fun yelling at the top of our voices for our colts. We break ground for the new stadium on Tuesday. Colts (2-0-0) vs Browns (1-1-0) next Sunday at Indianapolis!

Thank you for everyone's support with my doctor's visits. It is really nice to be able to come home from the doctor's office and have three messages waiting to see how things went. Here is the update: The OBGYN gave me two options to consider for the fibroid tumor, with pros and cons to both. Option 1 is to do nothing. Fortunately, my tumor is non-cancerous and will not turn into cancer, therefore it is not life threatening. So I have the option to leave it in my uterus. The pros to this is that I won't have to go through any medical procedure. The cons to this is that it is growing fast, and will continue to grow until I go through menopause, which would be around 25 years from now. The problem with that is that the tumor is already the size of a tennis ball, and could start affecting my bladder. The other con to leaving it in is where it is positioned in my uterus. The fibroid is attached to the uterine wall and is causing my uterus to be abnormally large. It is also in a bad spot if I wanted to try to conceive a child. I could get pregnant, but it would be difficult for the embryo to attach to my uterus, thus resulting in a miscarriage.

Option two: my only alternative, considering the fact that Joe and I would like to have children, is a abdominal myomectomy. An abdominal myomectomy is the removal of fibroids (also known as myomas) through an incision in the abdomen. The purpose of myomectomy is to restore the uterus to normal function. Symptoms such as heavy bleeding and pressure usually decrease or are gone once the fibroids are removed. The disadvantages of a myomectomy is fibroids can recur. While fibroids that are removed cannot recur, fibroids that are left behind can grow, and new ones can form. Another disadvantage is the down time after surgery, 4 to 6 weeks! I would be in the hospital for 2-4 days. The advantages is that we would be able to try to have children in 4 to 6 months after surgery, and a lot of my problems with my periods would go away.

So that's that! Our options. To Joe and I, it doesn't really seem like we have an option. We are planning on the myomectomy. I don't have to do that right away, thank goodness. With school, it is almost impossible to consider that right now. We are looking at Christmas time. Needless to say, I am frightened. I am worried about how we are going to cope with me not working for a month. I am worried because I haven't ever had any type of surgery before. But I know that this is the right thing for me. I want it out! I will keep everyone updated as far as when this will happen. Thank you again for all your support, it means the world to me!

Love Always,
Kat

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kathy,

I was so sorry to hear what you and Joe have been going through from Andy. I know you guys will get through this with flying colors and I know the CT and other scans are horrible but you can do it!!! Hope to see you guys soon!
Love, teb :)

Anonymous said...

Kathy,

We sure had fun on Sunday also. No one knows their COLTS like you do!
Word on the street is that there is an opening on the cheering squad. Get that dance video updated. love you, maureen

Nadine said...

I know that surgery is a scary and big thing, but I am completely positive that everything is going to go beautifully! And what wonderful news that at the end of this bumpy road, you and Joe will be able to have as many little ones as you want!