3/22/2017

Our Crazy Easter April 4, 2010


I was really looking forward to Easter this year. Last year I was very pregnant and we went over to my in-laws house for an Easter egg hunt with our niece. This year there are 2 new additions to the family and I was excited for our egg hunt and family brunch. Well things don't always turn out the way you think they will. Unfortunately, this year's Easter corresponded with our school district's Spring Break and most of my family was out of town. So, we had our own little family Easter Celebration. We decided that we would go out for an early breakfast at this new diner down the street and then come back and have an Easter egg hunt for BJ. We got up and got dressed up and headed out, and that is when all the problems started. The diner down the street was closed for Easter (I mean come on! A breakfast joint closed for Easter? Isn't that like one of their busiest days?) Now where do we go? We talked back and forth about where to go and decided on this cute little restaurant across the street that we have been meaning to try for a long time. The parking lot was empty, but my husband ran in to make sure it was open and it was. They sat us down at a nice table and left us with the menu. The items on the menu sounded delicious, I ordered the Creme Brule French Toast and my husband ordered biscuits and gravy with sausage. The food arrived and I have to say that I was immediately disappointed. I thought I was getting french toast but instead I got this custard, quiche like substance that was barely warm and was definitely not fresh. I took a couple of bite and I couldn't eat anymore. I had the bacon that went with it and it was crunchy but also not fresh. My husbands food looked disgusting and he said it tasted like it came out of a jar. With our drinks, tip, and food we spent $30 and then I went to the local donut shop for something to eat.

Have you ever had a vision of how you want something to go and then when it turns out so horrible you get depressed? Well, that was me. I wanted to have a nice Easter with my boys and it seemed like everything was going wrong. We got home, I had my delicious donut, I fed BJ breakfast, and then I set the eggs out for BJ's first ever "Easter Egg Hunt." I wasn't sure how it would go considering that BJ is a few weeks shy of turning one. I had purchased some large Easter eggs from Target that contained Fisher Price Little People figures inside of the eggs. What a fantastic idea for very young kids! The hunt was a smashing success! BJ loved gathering up all the eggs and shaking them. He would toss them and sometimes they would break open and a little figure flew out. He had so much fun and played with the eggs for a long time, I had tears in my eyes because finally something turned out better than I had envisioned. Overall, our Easter was crazy but in the end I really enjoyed the time we spent together as a family. My husband mentioned earlier in the day that this was the first time our little family spent a holiday as a family unit and not with extended family and he felt it was special. I will still welcome the holiday's that we spend with our entire families, but he is right. Things might not have turned out as perfect as I wanted them to, but it turned out to be a very special 1st Easter with my family. One that I will never forget. I would love to know about your Easter celebrations. How did you spend the holiday?

No comments: